Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Let go and let God


"Then Pilate said to Him, 'Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?'" (-John 19:10)

Pontius Pilate, with one little word, had the power to decide Jesus' fate. Or so he thought.

Jesus retorts with "You have no power over me except what is given to you from above."

See, Jesus' fate was already decided, and though it sounds kind of terrible for such a God, being full of love, to condemn His Son to death, me, being human, and full of sin, am very glad that it happened. Don't get me wrong, I am deeply saddened when I think what horrors Jesus went through, and even sadder to know it is because of me; because of us. But deep down, I'm very happy. The not-so-secretly-selfish part of me is glad he died, because it was necessary, and without it I wouldn't have life. And besides, it's hard to be sad for the middle of the story when you know the ending; the glorious victory; the marvelous resurrection, the insane twist straight out of a fantasy fiction novel, but so much better, because this is true.

Jesus knew his fate, He knew what the all-powerful Father held in store for Him, and He faced it head-on without hesitation, simply because it was the will of God.

If we really "let go and let God," we have to trust He will do the best for us. And it maybe won't look good at first- I mean look at Jesus, he straight up died. But He served a much higher purpose than His human efforts on Earth ever could have, AND he went beyond death and really actually PHYSICALLY rose from the grave, before going on to eternal life in heaven with El Padre. If that's not a happy ending, I don't know what is.

So if we're going to "let God," then truly LET GOD. Let Him have His way and don't worry that it won't work out. He can see the big picture; He knows the best even when it may appear to be the worst.

I need to remember this sometimes.
Or rather, a lot of times.
Life is almost never as bad as we make it out to be.
If the closer we get to Him, the more we let go of the weight we carry around, the more we have to trust Him with our entire life and realize we're not in control. That's almost always the hardest thing for me; I like to do things my way, how I like to do them, independently in control of my situations. And maybe that could come in handy sometimes, but very rarely does it ever happen that way. It's a hard thing to humble ourselves enough to realize we're not in control of our own life.
There are so many outside forces in the world that can change us in an instant, but if we can trust Him, He can help us live through it, and not let the world rub off on us.


Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. -Psalm 56:3

And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, -2 Corinthians 3:4-5

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.  -Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment